Resident Selection Criteria
1. Income & Employment Verification
- Applicants must have a verifiable combined net income of at least 3 (three) times the monthly rental rate.
- All applicants must complete an Employment Verification form. The form must be completed and returned by the applicant's HR Department, Supervisor or Superior.
Income Verification Types
- W2 Employees:
- All W2 employees must provide the last 2 (two) consecutive full months’ worth of paycheck stubs.
- All income must be receivable in Indiana – no Out of State income will be considered.
- Self-employed applicants must provide 2 (two) years of signed tax returns or IRS 1099 forms.
- Must provide the last 12 (twelve) full months of personal bank statements.
- Fixed Income
- Applicants on a fixed income or utilizing other income sources to include disability, child support, social security, retirement, investment income, etc., must provide verifiable 3rd party documentation of payments on corporate letterhead and the payments must be guaranteed for lease duration to be considered as verifiable income.
- W2 Employees:
How do I provide my Employment Verification form?
After an application passes all credit reporting requirements, criminal background checks & identification verifications, the Employment Verification form will be made available for electronic signature in the application portal.
How can I provide my proof of income if I was transferred for my employment or I am starting a new job?
Whether you are moving as a result of an employment transfer or you've recently been hired by a new employer, you will be required to provide an official document on your employer's letterhead verifying your income, effective start date & position. In the case that you are starting a new job with a new employer, the employment verification letter must state that you have passed all requirements and have signed an employment contract. Your official start date must begin prior to your lease start date.
2. Credit Reporting, Bankruptcy & Debt
A returned Credit Report must reflect the following to qualify:
- No more than $2500 in outstanding debt (debt that is 90+ days past due)
- No unpaid utility accounts
- No outstanding Landlord debts or collections
- No unpaid or outstanding Payday loan advancements or other similar payment advance institutions
- All Bankruptcies must be discharged
How do you determine the credit score that will be used for the application if there is more than one person applying for a home?
If there is more than one applicant who will live in the property, the average credit score of all co-applicants is used.
What credit reporting agency is used to determine my credit score?
The credit agency used in determining the credit score used for the application is TransUnion. We do not take the score from “Credit Karma”, “MyFico” or other similar sites into consideration.
3. Criminal Background & Offender Registry
An application containing any of the following will result in denial:
- Active or unresolved criminal cases
- Violent criminal convictions
- Convictions in which a firearm or weapon was used within the last 7 years
- Convictions involving drug manufacturing or distribution within the last 7 years
- Convictions involving destruction of property (i.e. Arson) within the last 7 years
- Felony convictions within the last 7 years
- Registered Sex Offender
- Convictions involving Forgery, Money, or Check related offenses within the last 7 years
Do you include convictions or criminal offenses from other states?
Yes. Despite where the offense occurred all criminal records are taken into consideration.
If I was arrested but not convicted of a crime will my application be denied?
No, an arrest is not the same as a conviction. In the case you were arrested but not convicted of the crime, the arrest alone will not result in a denied application.
4. Identity Proof & Verification
All applicants are required to provide proof of identity with their application by submitting a valid government-issued ID with a clear photo of the applicant.
Identity is verified by:
- Confirming that the name and all know aliases on the submitted ID matches the application
- Verifying all known addresses
- Verifying that the Social Security number matches the name of the applicant
- Verifying that the Date Of Birth (DOB) on the application matches
- Verifying that the phone number provided matches the application
Can I provide a Student ID, Medical Card or similar document as valid ID?
No. The Id must be government-issued, valid and have the applicant's name clearly printed with a clear photo. Examples include a passport, Drivers' License & Drivers Permit.
How do I submit my Photo ID?
Immediately after submitting your online application, all applicants should email a photocopy of the Id to email@example.com.
5. Rental History Verification & Evictions
All applicants must complete a Rental History Verification form. A returned Rental History verification must reflect the following to qualify:
- Timely Payments
- Sufficient Notice to Vacate given to previous Landlords
- No unpaid or outstanding Landlord balances
- No aggressive, offensive or harmful in nature communications or interactions with Landlord, Landlords Staff/Representatives or other Residents
- No record of illegal activities or unresolved or habitual Lease Violations
- No unauthorized pets or subtenants
- No Eviction Judgements in the last 5 years
How do I provide my Rental History Verification form?
After an application passes all credit reporting requirements, criminal background checks & identification verifications, the Rental History Verification form will be made available for electronic signature in the application portal.
What if I cannot provide Rental History?
In the case that you are unable to provide Rental History because you sold your home, have never rented before or for any other number of reasons, you will be required to provide a signed Letter of Explanation.
6. Security Deposit Requirements
Credit Score & Deposit Amount
Both statistical and historical analysis has shown that an applicant’s overall credit rating directly affects the risk and likelihood of default, damages, and unpaid rent. Applicants with a lower credit score pose a significantly higher risk.
An applicant must have a credit score of 620 or higher to be considered for tenancy. If an applicant has co-applicants, the average household score will be used in the determination.
Is the Security Deposit negotiable?
No. Under no circumstances is the Security Deposit negotiable.
Is a Security Deposit required?
Yes, every property will require a security deposit or security deposit alternative on file. A tenant may pay a traditional cash deposit or work with Obligo to secure a security deposit alternative.
7. Pets & Pet Screening
The pet policy & pet fee is determined on a property by property basis. In the case that pets are allowed, a maximum of 2 pets will be permitted.
- No animals, except for those legally defined as service animals, are permitted without written permission by property management.
- In the case of a service animal, it will be required to provide proof that the animal has received the proper training, certification or licensing to be designated as a service animal. With respect to support animals, it will be required to provide proof of prescription by a medical professional.
- All pets must be registered with petscreening.com and must be current on all vaccinations.
- All applicants are required to create a profile with petscreening.com whether a pet will be making the move with you or not.
Is there a fee to register my pet?
Yes, there is a 3rd party fee. The cost is the responsibility of the household pet owner. It is $20 for the first pet application and $15 for each additional pet application. Each household pet owner receives a pet management license to use your Pet Profile in your everyday life. For example, Pet Profiles can be shared with a pet groomer, pet walker, pet day-care, another landlord, etc. for one (1) year.
Do I have to register with petscreening.com if I don't have a pet or my pet is a service animal?
Yes, all applicants are required to create a profile with petscreening.com. There is no charge ($0) for an assistance animal reasonable accommodation request and you receive an animal management license for one (1) year. Likewise, there is no charge ($0) for a No Pet / Animal profile.
8. Renters Insurance Requirements
As the Landlords insurance does not cover a Tenant for loss of the Tenant's personal property, furnishings, or belongings, it will be required that a Renters Insurance policy be obtained and maintained for casualties fire, flood, water damage, theft, and general liability claims.
Renters Insurance minimum requirements include:
- General liability for the acts and omissions of the Tenant in the minimum amount of $100,000 on a per-occurrence basis
- Shall include coverage for negligent water damaged caused to the premises by the Tenant
- Must name EVERGROW Property Management as additional insured
Do I have to obtain my renter's insurance from a specific provider?
No. So long as the minimum requirements are met, you may obtain your renter's insurance from any reputable insurance provider.
Is there a provider you recommend?
Yes. We have a relationship with a provider that will not require you to qualify for their insurance coverage if you meet our screening criteria.
Smoking of any kind is prohibited in ALL properties
EVERGROW is an Equal Opportunity Housing Company and a member of the National Association of Residential Property Managers (NARPM®).
EVERGROW fully complies with Fair Housing Law. Our staff members adhere to a strict Code of Ethics and do not discriminate against persons because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, national origin or age.